The Village of Park Forest has certain restrictions in place related to signage posted in town. Below are some guidelines to help assist you in ensuring you remain in compliance with Village ordinances and are not subject to a fine due, or have your signs removed by the Building Department.
Type of Sign - Restriction
For Sale - Residents may display one sign at one time, in the front and side yard only -- not on the parkway.
Garage Sale - Residents may display one sign at one time, in the front and side yard only -- not on the parkway.
Open House - Residents may display one sign at one time, in the front and side yard only -- not on the parkway.
Signs can be a maximum of five square feet. There is no permit or fee required to display your sign.
Business Signs (On Commercial Property Zoned Under C1, C2, M1 & M2)
Type of Sign Requirement
Wall-Mounted Business Signs - Require drawing of sign (dimensions); elevation drawing of storefront; permit with fee based on the job cost; and a maximum size *. One sign on storefront allowed.
* C1 - One and a half in square feet for each lineal foot of storefront
* C2, M1 and M2 - Two in square feet for each lineal foot of storefront
Freestanding Business Signs - Require plot plan (location of sign); drawing of sign (dimensions); landscape plan; and permit with fee based on Job cost. One shopping center I.D. sign allowed (can include tenants).
Special Event/Promotional Signs - Require written notice for approval; may be displayed with a maximum size of 32-square-feet overall; no flashing lights or pennants; one banner or reader board allowed twice a year.
All signs can include reader boards in size limitations.
- Completed, signed permit application
- Plat of Survey showing placement of sign(s). If Plat of Survey is not available, a detailed, hand-drawn plat is acceptable.
- Elevation drawing showing height of sign and support base with reinforcement specifications.
- Sign must be set back five feet from lot line and must not create a line-of-sight obstruction.
- Inflatable devices shall be located a minimum of ten feet from the front lot line.
- Please see Village of Park Forest Municipal Code of Ordinances, Chapter 118 Article VII-5: Temporary Signs for additional information.